Wednesday 23 November 2011

CAD Model: RAYS TE37 Alloy Wheel

There just doesn't seem to be any guides for car modeling in proper CAD and no full model samples to download, just 2D blocks. I'm fed up of picking apart imported .3ds surface-meshes so, as I get my head around TurboCAD more, I've started to devise some basic ways to make my own. It might take a bit longer, but new solids look so much smoother than the meshes and are infinitely easier to edit and render.

Thought I'd start with something reasonably simple like an alloy wheel, so I've been working on this 1:1 model of the almighty RAYS Racing TE37 [19x10.5], which you will recognise if you're into tuned cars. My work with curved shapes has taken a serious leap forward in this sketch and I've picked up a few rendering skills too, like the decal-wrapping, but I think moving it into formZ or Blender [or Bunkspeed hopefully if I can get it] is needed for a pro finish.

Will post a tutorial soon.


1 comment:

  1. Sick model :) How is Turbocad for this sort of thing? Do you need to model the entire wheel or can you repeat features (Have you used Solidworks before?)

    ReplyDelete